Rock Chuck,

They did away with recess ten years ago around here.
They treat children like school is a full time job allowing a 20 minute lunch break and no play.
The schools have a lousy way of motivating and making sure that children have a quality education in spite of some very good teachers.
Even while serving in the schools in my state, I always recommended home schooling to parents.

Bullying has always been a problem, and is occasionally fatal. Both boys and girls have their challenges. I was beat up and bloodied in the first grade by a forth grader. That's how early it can start.
That big fat gal didn't let up until I hit back. LOL!

By the time they get into high school fights, weapons are common and man sized athletes applying for scholarships with major universities. Things can get dangerous at that age and often are.
Children come in contact with all kinds from all backgrounds.

The best parents can do, in a nutshell, is....

1. Stay involved as possible in their children's lives and require the same. This doesn't happen by accident. The government makes lousy parents. Don't turn your children over to them to raise. Don't place your children into situations that they are not equipped to handle.

2. Limit time on the internet and make sure that it is supervised. No social media accounts allowed.
If they want to socialize, give them opportunities to get together with friends. Only approved friends from decent families should be allowed. Controlling?
YES! It's called parenting.

3. Get your children enrolled in martial arts.
Most schools are poorly run IMHO. Many of the teachers indoctrinate the children in eastern religions of no value. Many are ground fighting or sport oriented as well. This may work well for one on one encounters and the sport, but are often not street based practical. If ground fighting skills and sports related competition are desired, by all means go for it. Keep in mind if you want it to be useful against bullies, it can be a limiting factor when multiple opponents and weapons are involved.
It's hard to find a good teacher, so shop around and consider family lessons for a trial period. It can become a great friend and family fitness program for life.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 04/09/21.