Just keep in mind that based on the price differential of gas and diesel you need to get better mileage in a diesel to cover the fuel costs. In my area it’s about 15% more for diesel right now, and that gap is usually larger than that. DEF expense is typically fairly small, but some of the emissions related expenses associated with diesels can be pretty salty.

The 2011 Duramax 6.6 I had was a great truck, but I had to replace all the NOx sensors, the DEF tank, all the glow plugs, and it had a failed EGR cooler bypass valve. Plus, the DEF/computer shenanigans threatened to leave me on the side of the road in an artificially induced ‘limp mode’ several times. I was also at the end of expected life of the DPF, alone with the ever present threat of the $10,000 Bosch CP4 fuel pump failure.

Maybe they have all that garbage better sorted on the new ones, I don’t know. I also have no idea how the baby diesels are. I would say the new diesels are insanely powerful but more problematic than the diesels of old. I would say the new gassers are also insanely powerful and more reliable than the gassers of old. I guess you gotta pick what works for you.