Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
how well does the 3.0 start when its sub zero and you cant plug in ???

the larger common rail motors will start right up at -15 or 20 , although it is easier on things to plug them in at those temps

Foolish, that anyone would "inform" Alaskans on anything cold weather related. I'm actually fkn shocked at the fairweather, 24hourtwattfire responses of recent. Everything from informing Alaskans on proper fuel supplements, to driving on ice, to starting a fkn diesel in the cold. There's hypothetical thinking out loud, then there's actually LIVING in a cold sht-hole, with a diesel.

All diesels have to be plugged in during Alaska winters. It saves wear on the starter, and many other components.

A common solution, where a diesel is parked at remote trail heads in remote locations: bring a compact generator of sufficient wattage. Use every fkn watt that generator will produce.

Here's my routine coming back to a diesel in below zero temps:

Park dog team, start gen.

Plug in.

By the time I get my dog sled loaded down, and the dogs stuffed in the dog box, my truck is close to starting.

Anyhow, 2600 watts weighs under 100 lbs, will power a block heater, oil pan heater, trickle charger and a hair dryer on low.

Hair dryer under the hood does amazing things. Warms fuel lines, air intake, turbo, oil lines, etc. Really speeds up the plug-in from 2 hours, to one hour.

The trickle chargers actually increase the cold cranking amps, the batteries begin heating from within.

My yammy ef 2600 starts at 30 below zero. Needs to be insulated during the operation though.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]