Many years ago, my brother and I were in an Ace Hardware store in Sioux Falls. On the rack were two Remington 700 35 Whelen's. One was priced under dealer cost, while the other was priced at retail. The clerk told us that if a rifle doesn't sell the price would be lowered until it sold. The two rifles looked like twins. My brother needed the "cheap" rifle more than I. He used it on elk and deer. One of his kids wanted it after he died, because it was his "favorite" - otherwise I would have bought it at his estate sale. It was very accurate and it dropped elk and deer fast. I've been looking for a decent priced 700 35 Whelen ever since.
Now I have two Remington 350 Rem Mags (600 & 700 Classic), on my second 35 Remington (a JM Marlin), on my second 358 Win (a re-barreled Remington 700), and this 35 Brown Whelen.

It's my experience that the 35's do quite well. Maybe I need a 358 Norma Mag - I have a re-stocked Ruger 77 that could be a donor...

Last edited by Bugger; 04/15/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally