Originally Posted by JeffA
So a hand gun don't always save the day completely.

Gotta a friend that sorta won a wrestling match with a Montana Grizzly after he sunk 6 rounds outta his 357 into it with the barrel literally stuffed against it's skull.
But it actually took a round from a 12 gauge to stop the attack and kill the bear.

The story is well documented, it was photographed every step of the way by many.

It happened near Spotted Bear in NW Montana.
The attack took place during a fumbled release.

Numerous wildlife photographers were present due to being in town (Kalispell) for a convention at the Outlaw Inn, they'd been invited to view and photograph the release.

Louis Kis was the man attacked, he's retold me this story several times over. Floyd Thomas shot the bear with the 12 gauge, he's seen in the photographs doctoring Lou's leg.

The story at the link I'm posting here is fairly correct, a few details aren't exactly right.

There were a lot of things done wrong, the bear had been improperly tranquilized, it came to early and had gotten rowled up.

As Lou slid the trap door up the bear started trying to squeeze out and bent the door so it became difficult to fully open and further pizzed off the bear.

Somebody standing by got excited and yelled for the driver to take off, it wasn't Lou, the bear had a hold of the trap at that point, it was the last thing he wanted to happen.

And the fatal error was the trap not being chain bind'ed down in the truck.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2008/01/grizzly-attack-caught-camera/

[Linked Image from fieldandstream.com]

For you Flathead locals, Lou still lives up on Foys Lake, if you were to ever run into him I'm sure he'd enjoy telling the tale one more time.

Ohhh. That don't look good.

Appears something like throwing out the anchor and looking down at the line winding around your leg. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH