Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by Dutch
The biggest issue, then, and I suspect will be today, was the inability to instill a company culture and "esprit de corps" among the employees.

My company went from "Don't even ask" to probably 80%+ will be staying home when we "return to the office" in June. It doesn't seem like company "leadership" is concerned that this will negatively impact our company culture, which is arguably our biggest differentiator and competitive advantage. To me it seems like they're betting the company on something that will be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to ever walk back.

I've read reports that 1 in 4 employees plan on leaving their current job after that pandemic restrictions are pulled back.

If you are mandating office workers commute to work every day for the office environment and other jobs are offering a flexible work schedule, you're probably going to be negatively affected by attrition.

It may not be something management is happy about doing but realizes they have to do it otherwise employees will leave.

For me, and this is just me, but I HAD a 45 minute commute each way on a good day if the weather was nice. Doing the math that's about 390 hours a year in the car that I'm not getting paid for, not to mention the gas. Now my commute is about 13 steps from my basement office to my living room. As a result I can stay later or start earlier and get more accomplished in the same week. My company has bent over backwards to keep people employed and productive through this mess. I can't imagine they would change that now. They are certainly aware of the attrition risk.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.