Originally Posted by DocRocket

I have discussed my views with other bear enthusiasts and wildlife biologists, and most tend to agree on these broad concepts. From all the info I've gathered on my own from bear encounters over the years, I'd say bear spray is probably about as effective as firearms in the aggregate of all bear encounters, but probably less effective on the smaller subset of aggressive bear encounters, and the more aggressive the bear, the less effective spray may be.

This has been my contention as well Doc … I rarely miss an opportunity to query the Big Game Biologist, Local Guides, Landowners etc. when given the opportunity.

Recently, I read Shelton’s “Bear Attacks the Deadly Truth and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in factual, unbiased accounts of these incidents.

Here in the Peace region (and other areas) it was just announced the Grizzly population has doubled since 2005, many (meaning all I speak with) believe that happened well before 2021 and that the population could well have quadrupled. Without a season, these encounters can only increase … time will certainly tell.

For those wishing to hear how quickly things can go south I will include a recent (2015) Grizzly attack on two sheep hunters in northern BC ( a little long so start at the 1:02 mark if desired, yes I know their rifles weren't at the ready).

Last edited by Stricks; 04/23/21.