While I’m at it, and again, I apologize for the pic. These pic’s are at least partially related to the topic at hand and this was taken in the Bob Marshal as we were leaving with two camps worth. The main camp was fully outfitted and had a grizzly tear into some horse feed in the tack tent one night and I heard that it resulted in all hands on deck and a general lack of peaceful sleep that night. They kept a dog in the camp as a general bear alarm and apparently he earned his keep even though he was a bit slow on the draw. Several bags were torn into and scattered about.

A friend and I were about three miles distant in a drop camp and we were in blacks every day to the tune of one to three sightings. They seemed very shy as we bumped several over the week. In the pic, on the ride out, we actually counted three more up on the hillsides above the tree line plainly out in the open.

Our outfitter was based in Choteau, Mt. and he told us they already had grizzlies spilling out of “the Bob” into the flat, private lands outside the wilderness..

I plainly missed a beautiful “beige” color phase black mostly behind a dead fall but with enough visible. And, yes, it was a black bear. It was a very beautiful fall and great trip.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]