Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Valsdad
How deep were you running baits/lures fishing over that wall?

Hi Geno. I mention depth in the post above yours but we were running baits from 1500 down to almost 2000 feet.

Have bunch of pics I'd post but sick of fuggin around with PB.

I mistook your meaning then.

I saw this:

We were fishing Floyd's Wall deep slow trolling in 1500-1800 feet of water

and took that as water depth, not trolling depth.

That scheidt takes a big reel just to hold that much line!!

My Mitchell 300 likely wouldn't cut it. grin

Deep slow trolling is a tricky game and sort of a misnomer. Unlike standard trolling offshore, where you might get on a heading and stay on it for ten miles at a set or slightly varied speed, what these guys do is use the engines to keep moving but in a relatively small and specific area. They bump the boat around in gear covering maybe a half a mile square, keeping the bait just off the bottom around where they know the swordfish like to be. The bottom comes up and falls away as the boat moves around, so you must constantly adjust where you are relative to the bottom, as much as maybe 150 feet. It requires a lot of attention and some very serious gear. The reels we were using were these:

https://www.connleyfishing.com/shop/lindgren-pittman-s1200-commercial-electric-reel/

Each rod and reel combo runs about $8500. So one can see, just in gear alone, a serious swordfisherman with a pair of rod/reel combos and line is approaching 20 large as investment. Boat not included in that price. wink Which is why so few are set up to fish for them, as well as very few willing to pay the steep price tag to chase them. The average cost of a S FL full day sword charter is almost 3 grand...