We definitely hunted Moose.
In Montana it's the Shiras which run a good bit smaller than the Moose we hunt in Alaska.
I was forchanet enough to assist this gentlemen in harvesting this Shiras Moose on the upper Middle Fork of the Flathead river.
It scored 156 0/8 placing it #5 Pope and Young for Montana.

[Linked Image]

That was in 1981 and has since been bumped down a few notches but it still places in the Montana F&G records.
There is less than one inch of deduction, it's a all but perfectly balanced bull, that's why he scored out like he did.

We'd scouted out that bull weeks ahead of season and knew he'd score well. We took him the day Archery season opened.

Years later this lucky stiff drew yet another Montana Moose tag.
Getting a tag in Montana is the hard part, finding a good bull, not so much.

We hooked up once again and I guided him to his second bull up by Red Meadow lake in the upper North Fork region of the Flathead.

That'd be the bull on the left in this image taken in his den, the P&Y bull is on the right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They make for a handsome pair and enhance his fireplace well.

The Alaskan Moose are another thing and there I did use a small chainsaw at one time. I bought a really small saw for the task and ran olive oil in it for bar lube.

Those Moose are just so damn big..

[Linked Image]

I got away from that sort of field butchering and took to just lifting out the shoulders and hams, stripped out the loins and neck roasts and boning out the rest.

There is just too much heavy bone and you're often carrying Alaskan Moose out on your back.

[Linked Image]