Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
It's not just the rifle, it's the scope as well. I chuckle about guys talking about short action light rifles and mounting mini Hubles. I usually hunt with either of a couple of FN Mausers., with Bushnell 4200 scopes, 1.5x6 and a 2.5x10. Neither scope is light and the rifles are average.

Absolutely. And the stock material too. smile I know what you mean about the light rifle/heavy scope crowd. I see guys at the range with these tiny rifles (every little bit helps, they say!), but with a satellite tracking scope on top. laugh

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Been pretty busy lately, huh?

Have four under 7.5 pounds, all plenty accurate. Scopes up to 18oz. Light is nice, not necessary. My heavier ones are a pair of .270s which are really more gun than needed. My crossbow weighs maybe 8lbs, and is pretty awkward to tote. Nothing I shoot kicks much. Since my “reason” for rifles is based on using them to hunt, I try to run through the rotation to some extent every season, but the crossbow has been the only thing that’s made meat for the past three seasons.

I’m old, a little pudgy, but exercise regularly, and heart and lungs work fine. Main issue is tired old joints, and muscles aren’t much help if the frame is creaky. My average run in and out to where I hunt is about two miles. My deer hunting is about 50/50 treestand/ground seat. Hunting from the ground, I carry a cushion, a stool, or a seat that straps to a tree at ground level. Since it’s public land, days when it’s safe to still hunt are limited, and lately hikers, birdwatchers, and dog walkers have gotten more common, so I generally walk in, park my butt, and wait a while.

You've no idea! laugh

I agree about the weights, and would add that a lot is what you're used to. I don't think that I ever had a CF rifle that weighed less than about 7.5 lb. That's scoped and loaded.

I'll have to post my Pro Hunter and No 4 pix. Both are chamberd in 30-303. The Lee Enfield weighs 10 lb 3 oz. The Pro Hunter weighs 10 lb. 6 oz. So much for single shots being svelt. laugh But I went stupid on the PH. It's a range rifle. A 26 inch bull barrel (1 inch dia,). It carries nicely though. It's slightly barrel heavy. grin

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]