comerade;
Top of the morning to you my friend, I trust that this first Sunday in May finds you and yours well and that the weather's behaving.

We got all the bedding plants in yesterday afternoon and had a light rain overnight I see, so here's hoping the new fence keeps the deer out effectively for some garden produce later on! grin

As you know about me, I've had a life long love for lever guns as well, but other than shooting a couple deer with them don't really hunt with levers. Well okay, if we're going to call using a Ruger No. 1 as my horse hunting gun a "lever" then there's that, but I don't usually class any drop block single shot as a lever gun as they're "the same but different" sort of. wink

You likely know as well about me that I'm a student of history and as such, admired so many of the photos of old time hunters here in BC with their Winchester 95's and Savage 99's.

What you might not know is that I had a Winchester 95 in .30US in rifle configuration, as well as a Savage 99 takedown for awhile.

The Savage was in .250, a 1922 model and despite all my efforts and experiments wouldn't group bullets even as light as 75gr much better than 6" at 100yds. That one really hurt as my late father used a 99 in .250 even for Saskatchewan moose and I so wanted one of my own. Dad's shot good enough that he hit gophers with it, but any gopher it by the one I had would have merely been unlucky. So it went down the road via Clay at Prophet River.

Now the 95 was another story in that just for historical purposes I wanted to love it, but the more I handled it, the less I did.

To me, the magazine is exactly in the wrong place to carry it, you know? Again I'm no giant and bigger men with correspondingly larger hands might not find it that way, but it felt "wrong" when carrying it to me.

A buddy offered me more than I had into it and down the road it went as well.

Lastly, any Miroku arm I've handled has been very well built for sure. We've chatted in the past about the B78 in .25-06 my buddy hunted with for years and it was a peach in every way as far as build quality. The trigger was a wee bit fun for sure and I made a different fore end for his that floated it from the action and barrel - and saved the very nice original from taking beatings on the pack frame - but it was well made.

His late father had a 95 carbine with the Lyman receiver sight on it, which he'd hunted with up until he picked up a '58 Model 70 in .270 which along with a Husky .270 was "the thing" in this part of BC in the '60's so he said.

Anyways sir all that to say I'd be interested in your thoughts if you do get a 95. So I read, they're well built and many shoot very well too.

All the best to you folks this spring.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"