rufous;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope wherever on the globe you're at that it's looking to be a decent day and that all who matter to you are well.

Thanks for the kind reply, I appreciate it very much.

After a wee bit of digging I found this photo of the last really good rimfire range day I had, which was last year so that tells me I really need to stop yard duties, gardening and firewood cutting soon and get some shooting done again! grin

Here was the best groups from the two top shooters that day - a '58 CZ Brno No 5 with a 4X El Paso Weaver on it and the new Tikka T1X with a lower end Bushnell 4-16 AO on it.

[Linked Image]

Again these are 10 shot groups - not 5 - shot at 25 yards.

To me there's some interesting tidbits to take away here. The Punta Hueca was loaded by Winchester in the '80's for export to Argentina??? It's a 40gr HP at 1150fps, waxed lead.

In both rifles it's within a whisker of running with the VERY MUCH more costly match stuff. I'll note here too that in a newer RAR youth model we tested a different day, CCI Blaser from the '80's and '90's will run with the match stuff - again in that rifle.

The '58 CZ with it's ancient El Paso 4X should have been hampered by the ring in it's barrel and the ancient Texas glass, but we can see that the group it put in with the Eley Match Biathlon is pretty spiffy. cool

All that's to say once again that without testing, you just never know.

I've got a buddy in the Yukon who has both kids in Biathlon by the way, one good enough to represent Canada in the international northern games. We talk about what ammo rifles like and don't. They order sample packs from a supplier out east and see what each Anschutz prefers.

I'll end with a photo of the test day arms. I see one got sold since then too - that happens sometimes doesn't it?

All the best and again good luck and hopefully have fun!

L-R '58 CZ Brno No 5, '60's Lakefield Mk II, '80's 10/22 Money Pit, Tikka T1X, '70's 10/22, Cooey 75 Military Trainer - modified.
[Linked Image]

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"