I have one in 308 and also have the heavy barrel Scout Tactical also 308. Both are great guns. I first bought one (Scout) back in 2005 or so, a Jeff Cooper model. Sold it a few years later and regretted it as soon as I shipped it. Couldn't find a replacement for a couple of years so I bought the Tactical. It's a tack driver but because of the weight, is relegated to bench work. I was finally able to find another Scout. I haven't been able to find a factory load that it likes (I didn't try too hard) but shoots my reloads very well, 150 grain Barnes TSX or TTSX over Varget. 0.050 off the lands. The integrated bipod is of use to me only to prop the rifle up when I set it down. I don't shoot it in the Scout configuration, installed a 2.5-10 compact scope on it. It's by far the fastest on target hunting rifle I own, well, the Marlin 45-70 is just as fast but I don't like putting that on target very much. I put the 10 round conversion on it and bought 2 10 round mags. I like this set up. One thing I really like about all Steyr rifles is your OAL is not limited by the magazine. There is plenty of room to load VLDs if you want to. With the Barnes it doesn't matter, but with Bergers it does. Another thing to consider is the barrel heats up quickly on the Scout in the warmer months. For hunting its no worry but on the bench in the summer its pretty much shoot 3 or 4 and let it cool down. Maybe overkill but that is something I do with all of my rifles. That's a good reason to bring your pistol with you so you have something to do while you're waiting for the barrel to cool. I may be weird but I like the look of the Scout. I know one thing, if the SHTF that's the rifle I'm going to grab .