I've bought a new Steyr Professional in .270 over 30 years ago and still have it. It's an excellent rifle except for the plastic magazine well/trigger guard and magazine. I cracked the plastic magazine well/trigger guard by having too much torgue on the action screws after pillar bedding it. I spent a lot of money getting a steel magazine well/trigger guard custom built and that is vastly superior...except it weighs 6.2 oz more. I had to replace one plastic magazine as some barrel solvent reacted with the plastic magazine after I loaned it to a mate and he "cleaned it" after using it. All these things could have been avoided by being careful. The reason I don't get a steel rotary magazine fabricated to replace the plastic one is it will increase the weight by another 4-6 oz.

To get the length down to what J.C. recommended for his .308 scout rifles in a short action you need to have a barrel no more than about 19". With a .308 for hunting, I much prefer a 22" barrel as being optimal to get a reasonable velocity and not as bad on the ears.