If I had to choose my pick for greatest smokeless round ever invented it would be choice between 7x57 and 6.5x55. They share many admirable features. First is a ballistic sweet spot that is as perfect today as when introduced. For hunting all but largest, aka massive & exotic game, they are ideal. Not, adequate, but ideal. Not that it makes a big difference, they work as do 100 other choices.

I am getting into mil-surps guns lately and many of the 1890 ish period smokeless rounds used odd size lands an grooves. Like Carcano 2.68 and Mauser 312. And even today these require special loading skills because the rifling is cut deeper than expected. The Sweed got it right from the get go.Also, pressure levels are right. these two as introduced are perfect. I dont want the max load, I want the accurate load. My loading has nothing to do with grandpa.

The other consideration these two are relatively mild in recoil for high power rifles.

I dont know? What is a battle rifle? Why are some rifles called precision? All the modern, cool, buss words apply. If only we could make up a uber-cool new name and put on a good marketing campaign, they would No1, and 2 for sure.