Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by MOGC
Why not a sensible compromise of #7.5 TSS, instead of the #9 rat shot? Not quite as many pellets but certainly more of every other measure of a turkey load.

Energy is just a comparative number, just like with rifle bullets. What matters is getting sufficient penetration and pattern density to do enough damage to drop your quarry. If you get that with 7 1/2s, fine, but smaller gauges benefit from the high pellet count they get with the small shot, and as the video shows, penetration is not an issue. For body shots, I’d go with larger shot, and probably lead, and a different, more conventional choke. No sense burgerizing a fine bird with the kind of patterns you get with TSS. Still working on my O/U 20. Might end up with TSS in one barrel and lead in the other. Since there are some days when both deer and turkey are legal for me, it might be a shot and slug combo.

JB’s article, which was focused on wingshooting, said the best patterns were with an IC choke.

Pellet count does matter, no doubt about it. Thing is, I think there might be a trend toward the itty bitty shot in an attempt to make a turkey gun out of what would not normally be considered a turkey gun. The stunt shooters, the .410 toters, use a swarm of #9 to flush out the pattern from the little gun. TSS compensated for pellet size with density and hardness. Then the .410 toter can brag about killing a gobbler at 64 yards with a .410. I guess in the end a dead gobbler is a dead gobbler. I just don't see the point. But that's ok, to each their own.

If the gun throws a killing pattern, how is it a stunt?

.410 Henry SS Fed TSS, 50 yards. I count 14 solid hits in the head and neck, not wattles.The Apex Ninja loads are better.

[Linked Image]

Lighter gun, lighter ammo, less recoil, adequate killing power. Just because it doesn’t “seem” right to you, doesn’t mean it’s a stunt. I don’t shoot stuff to brag about it, or impress internet jackholes.

The same gun with a Skeet tube put three Brenneke slugs inside a 2” square the same day.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?