I turned 16 in 1980,had my "skinny" high school girlfriend ,there was always A fat chick around,always one FAT guy around,called "FAT SAMMY" OR "FAT PAULIE,"they were few and far between,the drinking age/buy tobacco age was 18 in New York then.Like others have said a D.U.I. wasn t a big deal,if you were respectfull and hadn t caused an accident,cops would follow you home,MABEY,have a talk with parents,but no huge federal case.I could buy .22 ammo /shot shells,no problem,had to hunt with someone 18 or older,i had a N.Y. junior hunting lic. When i was 17 i could buy beer,liquor,smokes,drink in a bar,no one ever carded.As long as you didn t cause trouble,it was all good.I was going to tittie bars in CT. when i was 17 ,supposed to be 21,nobody cared.The 80's was the last carefree time i think.AIDS was just starting to get news coverage,so we were carefull to "WRAP THAT RASCAL", when banging some strange,other then that,i had a hell of a time until i got married in 93'..Then i got serious,wife,kids,house,cars,etc.