Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
Originally Posted by Sam_H
That die setting that moves the shoulders of perfectly good brass 10 thou will fail to move the shoulder of an overstretched piece sufficiently. This is exactly what is being described.

Because springback. Folks tend to think dies move all pieces the same at a particular setting. Not so.

Which leaves you wondering if you need a SB die. So you can move shoulders......probably less. But works the brass more. Which shortens brass life on the good pieces that didn't need a SB die. The overstretched pieces then fit in your gun......great!!........whoops partial separation on first fire???

Cull the overstretched pieces first. Then you won't need a SB die. Then you can use your die to bump shoulders just enough. Then you won't have short brass life.

Wouldn’t a slightly shorter shell holder do the same as a small base die? I have never used SB dies so I am asking.
One could file or grind down the top to allow shorter case sizing.
I have found there is a lot of difference in shell holder heights even of the same brand, which effects the case sizing.

You can push the case up farther but that will push the shoulder down, you are trying to get the bottom of the case sized.
I have been using SB dies a long time in 223, I reuse cases many times. Check inside web with a paper clip. Don't make to much of SB dies.
Op also uses a BLR all the more reason to get a SB die and be done with it. A BLR needs cases to fit without being tight or it wont cycle.
Also it would be tough to extract a half stuck case in the chamber out in the sticks. In the BLR I would just use new brass with SB die.

Last edited by doubleDs55; 06/13/21.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....