Two different classes when I was that age.

"Driver's Education"............all classroom stuff. Movies from the CHP with pictures of burnt "baconized" bodies in the front seat of drunk driving wrecks. I think those were later determined to be too "graphic" for some students and were stopped. Mostly going over all the rules of the road and safety stuff high school kids are so interested in. smirk

Then, if one passed the classroom aspect, there was "Driver's Training", which was the on the road portion. Ours was cool, first there were a few days in the trailer on the simulators, then actual combat. Ours was a '68 or so Buick Electra 225 with plenty of power. One session was out on the rural roads in the area, at that time 65MPH limit. Pulled over, switched drivers, this gal I went to grade school with was next up. She was sort of the shy, clumsy type. Gravel/dirt shoulder to that road. Gal slowly, ever so slowly starts to pull out onto the rural highway after checking her mirrors and hitting the turn signal. SLOWLY, and I mean that. Teacher reaches over the transmission hump with his left leg, mashes the accelerator, the big four barrel opened up and horsepower hit those rear wheels. Dirt roostertail. Looks at the gal and said if there was traffic you'd have likely gotten hit. This thing has power, learn to use it. I think I could enjoy a big old boat like that nowadays.

I can't recall the folks ever having to send extra money for it, part of the package of education as far as I know.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?