I’ll never forget the look on Coach Cousins face when he got handed the blinker handle.

We don’t need no steenkin blinker !

I’d been driving on our farm & dirt roads & a lil bit of asphalt for a couple of years before I took drivers Ed, so had an advantage over town kids. It was between hilarious & frightening riding w some town kids when it was their turn.

I couldn’t get my drivers license until 2 mos. into my junior year, I lived in the biggest podunk town in a county of podunk towns. They only gave the test on Mondays.

I turned 16 on a Thursday, so I skipped school the next day w my best bud who had turned 16 in Feb. of our sophomore year & he drove my grandparents LTD to a neighboring county to a town that was our arch enemy in football. The only game on our schedule that we played on Saturday afternoon instead of Fri. night due to all the past violence between the two schools.

Since it was a Friday I had on my white jersey that all the footballers wore to school that day since we had a home game that evening where we’d Don our blue jerseys. I was nervous as hell they’d fail me for being where I was from.

But I passed ! Yippeee! And would have my dl for the weekend 💪🏼 The examiner did take some points off cause he said I drove too slow. I made up for that over the next several years, by driving too fast.

In my 71 Charger or his 68 gto we’d often cruise to places doing 120 mph. The Bible says god looks out for fools & lil children & I had pretty good heaping doses of both in those days . I

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.