Originally Posted by szihn
I lean to a different type of boat completely. Here is my next boat.
https://eddyline.com/collections/kayaks/products/fathom-touring-kayak?variant=32965381521496

In fact I am talking a trade with a man now. I offered one of my best grade Golden Age American Longrifles and he would trade for the boat above. I could simply build it and sell it, but he lives in Colorado not far from the shop that sells the kayaks, and wants to come get the gun in person and shoot it here, have be show him everything about the build and what to expect and maybe come hunting with me next year. So if he can swing the purchase I told him go buy the Kayak and a mated spray skirt, and bring it to me and I'll make the rifle to his specs and give hi that amount of value plus a bit more. The Kayak with the spray skirt will come in at around $3100 (with tax), and I will make a $3500 rifle in trade for it.

I don't know if he's going to do it yet, but we talked about it last Thursday. I'll wait about 2 weeks, and if he doesn't do it, of calls and says he can't swing that amount up front I'll open the offer to anyone that would like to do such a trade.
But other men and women may not be able to deliver a Kayak and pick up the gun, so that part of the deal is not "locked in stone". I could drive to the boat and simply ship the gun, but it sure would be nice if I can get someone to bring it and pick up the gun. I built a wood rack on my little Toyota truck and go get the boat, but if I had to go more then about 2000 miles round trip the trade may not be worth the effort, because I can have the Kayak shipped my truck too.

Small recreational Kayaks are sold my Walmart but sea-worthy kayaks are not big sellers in Wyoming. I see small rec-Kayaks on a LOT of trucks and it's common to see them on the lakes here, but you don't see the longer more sea-worthy Ocean/Touring kayaks much. The longer more sea-worthy kayaks do come in handy when the winds whip out of the mountain and turn those calm mountain lakes into rolling whipping chop 3 to 4 feet high and white capped. Also, I want to go with my Sister to the coast of Alaska next season and my small 10-1/2 foot Old Town Loon Kayak is not the boat for the costal inlets up there, for a 2 week outing. She and fiends outfit off a large power boat for 3-4 day outing in the kayaks and she know folks that do it in Rec-Kayaks, but if the weather gets nasty after you go out, getting back can be a dangerous situation in a rec-kayak. Good Sea/Touring Kayaks are what's needed.

The Fathom is a great kayak, though it may take some getting used to for a relatively new paddler. They are very well regarded and hold their value well. The Fathom LV (now discontinued) is also worth a look for the small to medium-sized paddler. You may also consider the Sitka line from Eddyline. Not as fast as the Fathom, but certainly no slouch and a bit more friendly for those still getting their feet wet.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~