I am glad to know that Jim knows what I am talking about when it comes to raising a great tasting steak. You guys that have purchased your meat from the market your whole life have no clue.

I mentioned Angus and Herford earlier.

My Son in Law imported a half dozen longhorn cows onto the place a few years ago. We butchered several before we got tired of rebuilding fences behind the dirty bastards and hauled them all to the auction.

But anyway. The longhorns butchered out about 95% as compared to the Angus from the same pasture. I was pleasantly surprised.

The bottom line is, a cow's digestive system is perfectly tuned to young tender grass pasture. If you rotate your pastures, and never let the grass get over about four inches high, and move the cattle on to the next before they have to work for grass, you will raise fine beef.

I like a calf born in July or August and weaned in May before he is a year old. Feed him good sweet alfalfa hay the second winter, back on young tender grass by April 15. And hanging on a hook by the 1'st of November at 26 to 27 months

I have a good friend who raises bison. He has 160 head across the road from my house and sells meat at premium prices. His stock is fed out exactly the same as mine, it just takes twice as long for his to get to butcher weight.

Flavor? I find the bison to be very slightly more "gamey"

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.