Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
‘Nother question....

How often to replace the automatic transmission fluid?
..............I for one disagree with this so-called "lifetime" ya never need to change your trans fluid hype from some auto manufacturers. All trans fluid sooner or later breaks down and will eventually fail to properly lubricate the internal parts. The more the fluid breaks down over time and miles losing the ability to properly lubricate, the higher the liklihood for excessive heat which is any transmission's worst enemy. Check your owners manual to see if there is a recommended mileage for your transmission's fluid and filter to be changed............And then investigate what full synthetic trans fluid options are compatible with your vehicle. Using 100% synthetic eliminates petroleum acid based by-products found within conventional trans fluids that tend to wear down the internal parts faster such as the clutches, gears etc and using 100% synthetic will keep the inside of your trans much cleaner and run cooler.

100% synthetic costs more per quart, but well worth that extra cost imo as a preventative maintenance option.

I am not an Amsoil dealer or a distributor, nor do I have any business affiliation with Amsoil other than to buy their products. Amsoil has perhaps the best 100% synthetic lubricants on the planet; if not the very best on the planet as numerous tests and reports have shown that exceed Mobil One as well all other well known synthetics in almost every category. The idea is preventative maintenance, or to prevent you from having to see the inside of of a trans shop lobby for as long as you own your vehicle.

Regardless of how good Amsoil is or how good any other synthetic is you should still follow the reco'd mileage interval between changes. In my Ram truck I swapped over from the OE trans fluid to Amsoil at 55K miles and then changed the fluid and filter again at 125K using Amsoil.

Go on you tube a type in "million mile Amsoil challenge"....There you will find a two part video made by a guy who either still owns or did own a 1999 Chev van that he used for his multi-state delivery business which he bought new....At approx the 930,000 mile mark the engine was pulled and what was thought to be a larger problem only turned out to be only a valve grommet or something to that effect. And his OE transmission? At the time the video was made, 1.2 million miles on it and still going strong using Amsoil 100% synthetic trans fluid.

There are other lesser expensive choices besides Amsoil. If you happen to be running conventional trans fluid, swap over to a 100% synthetic.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger