Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Dillonbuck.

You're right about You've got a few steep hills there. But not many that are 5 + miles of 9% grade going into a river canyon.

When you crest on of those PA hills though, it's best to know what's on the other side though. I'll attest to that. Can be hard to stop with an Amish hay wagon pulling out in front of you.

Gotta say, Salt River Canyon was a surprise.
Well marked, followed the signs buy couldn't quite figure out
how I was gonna go down so much. Hadn't went up.

The rim was awesome.

Amish Freightliners are a thing.

So is our propensity to have red lights, really sharp turns,
or a dam T-intersection with a rock wall across the T, at the bottom
of a steep grade.

I lived on a short steep hill in NW PA town. At the bottom was the main road through town...................and the river. No wall as I recall, just a guardrail.

I did the Salt River canyon many times when I lived in that part of AZ. Not the only way, but the quickest to get to Phoenix for air travel, Costco, etc. But, that was in the early 2000s. My first time going down and up was during the monsoon, in 1975. Driving a 1954 Chevy Bel Aire with vacuum wipers. A very nice semi driver pulled over starting up the hill so I could pass, or I would have had some very slow wipers going for a few miles.

And yes, even with a 2 speed Powerglide, I used low gear once I got it slowed down to below 25MPH coming down. Holding a 4000lb car back with those undersized drum brakes (Not even power brakes) was never fun..

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/13/21.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?