Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Dumdum
I forgot to mention there is an empty full size freezer available in a shop at the ranch. In the eventuality that said friend actually bags an elk, what supplies would be useful to help cool the meat and avoid making a bloody mess in the freezer? (To minimize cleanup before departing)

I prefer to transport meat cooled rather than frozen before final cutting and packaging. If the temp is cool enough for hanging, that would be my choice. If not, he could cool it in a couple large coolers with ice packs. I prefer water jugs or 2 liter bottles full of ice, as they don't get the meat wet when they melt. He could use the freezer to freeze these and refreeze them if needed. If he's going to use a commercial processor, he should check with him before the season to see what his preference would be. He also might then make arrangements for drop off in case he gets back from the hunt at some time the processor is not typically open. If this is a hunting ranch, they've dealt with meat care many times before. Maybe there's a way to see what others have done.

What’s going on is a friend of mine has arranged a certain deal mutually beneficial with someone else that I know that has a guest house. I introduced them and want it to have a happy ending , and I’m in the middle ( and away we go with the jokes).