Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
To say I am a model 12 fan is a huge understatement. I have several books and many articles about the amazing model 12. They are just stunning. I can understand weakness whether perceived or real. I have always perceived the takedown of the model 12 as a weakness though I have never seen one fail. I just don't feel comfortable with any takedown guns. Just about all takedown rifles have wiggles. I would much prefer a solid frame shotgun to a takedown. Also the magazine tube to barrel attachment I felt was iffy and have seen many that are loose and cant be tightened any more. Having never owned a model 25 it addresses these issue of mine. I would like to purchase a model 25 to take apart and study but they don't show up often in my neck of the woods. For me anyhow I feel the 25 could be the equal of the 12 since they have identical parts made on the same assembly line. The drawback for me anyhow was the lack of any options. Twelve gauge only, no rib, plan wood just a black and white generic gun. If you think I am bashing the great model 12 you will have to visit someday and see my safe full of them.

The weakness on a mdl 25 was the "dog leg" action bar where it attached to the forend, I've saw several that broke and had to welded/brazed back together. They are not the equal to the mdl 12. As far as take down looseness. Don't do it often. . And looseness can be fixed by adjusting the barrel collar or replacing it with a larger one(they came in different sizes).