Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by mtwarden

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

In coming back to this thread I missed this picture. That had to be one of those Oh Chit, what have I done moments. I hope there was a road reasonably close. LOL

Definitely! laugh

We had two other guys thankfully; three of us butchered into the night, one tended the fire and rifle- this is grizzly central country just a mile or two north of Yellowstone. Got all the meat hung about 2:00 AM, hiked up the trail about a mile to camp to keep away from the carcass. The next morning we started packing meat out. The road was 7 miles and unlike most trailheads, this one is very high and the trail leads down to the drainage we hunted, so you're hauling meat uphill! We got one load each to the truck and then hiked the 7 miles back to the meat. We loaded up again, but were only able to make it about halfway to the truck. We found a tree to hang the meat and then hiked back to camp- about 21 miles that day (half with loaded packs). The next morning we loaded up the remaining meat and camp and headed out, the meat loads weren't as heavy as the previous two, but with camp gear, probably close in weight. When we got to the meat we hung up the day before we were met by another guy who originally was going to come, but didn't and decided to come in late after all. We loaded him up good and then said f' it we don't want to come back again so dumped our packs and loaded up all the meat/camp and headed out.

The happy ending part is when we got back home and weighed all the boned meat- a little over 600 lbs of great bison meat! laugh