The Grayl water purifier seems to be getting a lot of attention on YouTube and other Internet sites, and the reviews are generally very good. Because it's a "purifier" and not merely a "filter", it also removes most viruses and some chemicals and heavy metals. I've never really been worried about viruses here in the U.S., but I've often wondered about chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, etc. here in PA. I probably drink some of that stuff in my everyday water and don't even realize it.

The Grayl Geopress is somewhat heavy at nearly one pound, but it also doubles as a sturdy 24 ounce water bottle. The Grayl Ultralight weighs about 11 ounces and can do double duty as a 16 ounce water bottle.

I've been getting by with an archaic MSR Waterworks Mini pump for the little bit of water that I filter in any given year, but it's heavy at about one pound and can't serve as a bottle or reservoir. It does have carbon incorporated into its filter, so it does remove some chemicals. From what I've seen of the Grayl, it filters water a lot faster and easier than my MSR pump. I'm thinking of retiring it in favor of a Grayl.

Here is a link to Grayl's website:

Grayl Water Purifier Bottle

Last edited by CoalCracker; 08/22/21.