The Grayl is nifty. Used it this past week in the mtns where knew the hike was barely an easy hour in, ending at a clean mtn lake. Works slick, if a little heavy. The simplicity is nice; needed nothing else to make cooking water or bottle water. So, on a trip where you 100% KNOW you’ve ready access to low sediment water, can see the appeal and plan to keep trying it out for such.

Camelbacks/bladders and i go back to the 90’s and i still find them a hassle - maybe I’m just a prone to mildew guy??? So, any excuse for a bottle i’m there. That said, the Grayl is taller than a nalgene and wants to flop out of my belt holster (unk brand), so need to experiment more there.

Have the platypus 3L setup, too, and really like it. Am sure it will slow with age, but damm is it fast - blows away any katadyn i’ve used, and minimal effort. It is a f’n bladder, tho, so time will tell.

Of course, keep the nasty iodine in the pack in case chitt happens in the way-back.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.