Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Up to about 2 years ago Scheels would give you a decent price on a trade in gun - at least the one here in Kansas City.
then they got a new manager and they changed their policies and they now offer less for a trade in than Cabelas…. CABELAS !!

The price they offer has little to nothing to do with the blue book value - so I’m done with them if I can avoid them…. WOW.

Once they got a new manager, they place reminds me a a shister gun store.. a complete 180 from where they were originally…

That's too bad. It's a nice store. They have had ammo there all through the shortage whereas Cabela's and neither BPS in the city has, not to mention the two Academy's in your area.

I went to Cabela's back during Christmas break and was going to buy my kid a used Auto 5 shotgun. I took it up to the checkout and they directed me back to the Gun Library, for some reason. It was getting late and I think they just wanted to make somebody else deal with it. I stood there watching a semi-hostile Gun Library guy fingering from what I could tell from say seven feet away, a very decent pre-64 Winchester model 1894...30-30. Guy wanted like $500, which the Cabela's guy maybe should have just given him, the way gun prices are right now...and they weren't any better eight months back. So the Cabela's guy says the best he can do is $300! Guy asks for $350 and the pogue says he'll do him a favor and give him $325.

I was paying with my Cabela's card or was going to. I'm too used to gunshow/gun dealer etiquette where I won't get involved in somebody else's deal, but I nearly broke ranks. I actually turned around and looked in my wallet and only had like $300. I think there was enough to cover the other fifty out in the car. I came damn close to telling the old boy to step out in the parking lot and I'd give him $350.

About that time the rude assed employee told me it would be at least a half hour before he could get to me and I needed to take the gun up front. I just said I'd already been there and they'd directed me back there, as I turned around and put the gun back on the rack and we left.

I followed up the next day by calling and asking if they had the Winchester. Nope, already gone. I highly suspected it never even went on the books and the rude employee carted it right home. I expect I was right.

I've bought several guns there but this certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. Most stores like that are...like that. Big box stores saying they'll buy your guns. Sure they will.