Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I wouldn't like a hurricane....but I think I would like to watch one make its way to shore.

I’ve only experienced them as weak tropical storms after they came inland.

The first thing different as you get into the outskirts is the steady breeze that doesn’t quit, like what you would get from an electric fan but everywhere. It feels distinct and ominous, heralding the approach of the storm. What you are experiencing is the outer edge of the humongous mass of air rotating around the eye. Air has mass and momentum to a degree most folks don’t realize.

Up above 100% overcast with the whole sky moving in unison, if you can see far enough you can make out the sky is moving in an arc relative to wherever the eye is The rain is heavy and is the warmest rain you ever felt.

All that air that rose in the hurricane has to come down, an it does, beyond the edges of the storm, becoming warm and dry as it descends with a chinook effect, if East Texas is getting hammered San Antonio can be unusually hot and dry.

One time there was a tropical storm passing to the west, it was clear and sunny where I was but on the western horizon you could see a mass of clouds all in motion. Basically, if you’ve seen the satellite images of a storm rotating around an eye, from the ground it looks like you would expect it to.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744