Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Blood trails are for bad hits or arrows...

I disagree, but it's conditional.

I shoot behind the shoulder, double lung and heart most of the time. I have the land, neighbors, and luxury of not losing a deer that runs a little. 45/70 placed like that = Stevie wonder can track it. And you lose zero meat.

That said, anything needing to go down NOW gets hit on bone. But you often lose a lot of the front quarter(s).

So, to the OP's question: I have noticed a little difference between .308 and 6.5CM with similar shots at similar distances. Not enough to matter tracking, but enough to notice. That said, I've only shot two with my 6.5, so not a big sample.

Hornady Whitetail Hunter factory ammo in the 6.5 and 180g hand loaded with the .308

What are the advantages of blood trailing ?

Jerry

No wasted meat shooting behind the shoulder.

Other than that, there ain't any.

And, like I said, when it's big, bone is going bye-bye, and the deer isn't going 10 yards.

But, seriously, I understand many people don't have the luxury of location and friendly, non hunting neighbors that are fine with it if a deer runs a little and ends up on their property.

Give, it some time, follow the trail, get the deer. And I'm not screwing up some other guys hunt doing it.