Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Is a 338 06 AI practical? Nope.

Any real advantage over a non improved 338 06? Nada.

But I like it. And that sharp 40 shoulder looks cool.
😁
And NO ONE else will have one in an Alabama deer camp. Hell, most people give me a puzzled look when I respond to their questions about what's I'm carrying in the woods.

And it HAMMERS Alabama critters with a 200 gr SST at 2875 FPS.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For something really impractical, I also have a 35 Whelen AI. Mule Deer has called it the most useless AI cartridge.

Practicality? Meh...

Not sure why he says that, Volume increase isn’t that much less than a 280 AI percentage wise.

Granted, it’s really about the pressure difference of the reloaded rounds !
Supposedly, the AI doesn’t show pressure signs as soon.

For me, I haven’t decided if spiral bolt fluting is a real functional improvement , or simply an affected style feature.

338’06 Go your own way : Alaskalanche built a beaut off of an 84L Montana ‘06 rebored , with a 20” barrel.
A thing of beauty in the bush.

Others go with a longer barrel, and the AI gives more combustion chamber and less trimming, to take advantage of it.
338-280AI takes it to a fairly practical limit using standard brass.

Some have used the 280 RCBS for the optimum shoulder angle for combustion and a little easier feeding after necking up to 338. I can’t see much real difference their over the AIs 40 degree shoulder, but some folks are willing to pursue that compromise especially in a crf action.

4 or 5 down doesn’t hurt either.

I like ‘em both

Last edited by 338Rules; 09/06/21. Reason: The rest of the story

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.