Back on topic.....

I built one.. on a Model 70 action, rebore...The guy who did it, was one of the last guys to train under P.O. Ackley. Bob West in Eugene OR.

When he did it, he told me old P.O. Ackley saw no reason for it, because it gave no real world gains... so I just went with the 338/06 rebore.

Had several local buddies with the Ackley version... and at the range a couple of time, each with 24 inch barrels., mine had 50 fps more velocity than the guys with the AI's. so that kind of bore out what Bob West told me P.O. himself said.

He also was the guy who recommended to use H 380 for it, which I followed and it was a right choice... that or 4064...

He recommended 50 grains of 4064 as a charge for it also.... because the velocity for 200, 225 and 250 grain Hornady bullets was 2500 fps MV, with that 50 gr of 4064 charge. My chronograph verified that also... and also pretty much had the same general point of impact at 100 yds.

and here is Bob West , operating out of his garage. who had about 20 guns he was working on for Hank Williams Jr, about 10 for Tom Selleck and a host of others for celebrities......While I was at his shop, Hank Williams Jr called him like 3 times, so he finally took the call, when I said I didn't mind waiting.

Then all of a sudden, he says " Hank, I gotta go take a Whizz.... here talk to my friend John here, until I get back.." Then he just hands me the phone and takes off..... So I hear Hank Jr on the phone... "hey John, how's your day going?".. so I talked guns with Hank Jr for about 10 minutes, until Bob got back..

Hank had asked me what Bob was working on for me, and I told him the 338/06.... well that's a good caliber....I prefer the 35 Whelen.. but I've seen them on some of my hunts with others, and they certain work on Elk and Bears....

For a celeb, old Hank Jr was a real down to earth guy..... so my 338/06 has some sort of pedigree to it... kinda sorta...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez