Since 1975 the .338 Winny has performed wonderfully for me on Alaskan game and the 30-06 has done the same thing since 1965 and a .338-06 worked also, but has only seen limited use. I have recently turned a new production Mod. 71 into a .348 Ackley Improved and if I get close enough I expect the wonderful 250 grain Kodiak Super Bonded Bullets at about 2,500 fps mv to work very well. Do I need an Improved .348, probably not, but I sure wanted 35 Whelen ballistics with a 250 gain bullet and the improved .348 Ackley version gives it to me. So the itch is scratched and I am happy about it.

The Deluxe Mod. 71 rifle has a beautiful walnut checkered stock, beautiful bluing and I will be feared by all beasts when I am carrying it. Once the XS receiver sight is zeroed for 150 yards all range shooting will be shot off of the sticks. I will be the envy of everyone and I will also look good with my Filson Packer oil skin hat, heck ya!

One thing they all have in common, if the right bullet is put in the right place at a reasonable distance they all kill well.

Does a 338-06 Ackley make sense, not to me because I don't want one, but if I did.........