i rarely do ribs on the kettle anymore since i got a WSM. my kettle has a Smokenator 1000 baffle thingie that works great for holding all the charcoal to one side. i fill it almost up with unlit kingsford and then plunk 5 or 6 lit chunks on top. i put a foil fan full of water on the bottom grate and then two racks as far away the from charcoal as i can get them. i also rigged another smaller grate that has 4" bolts for legs that goes over top of the first way to give it another layer so i can do 3 racks. my kettles are all rusted out junk so its hard to regulate the temps so i don't bother. i just let them go for 2 hours or so and then check them by eye and when they look right, i pull them, put sauce and brown sugar on them and wrap them and then put them in the oven at 225 for an hour or so. check them again by eye and slouch and when they are the way i like them, i fire up the gas grill and sear them real quick and then pull them and let rest for 15 minutes.

all this was done away with when i bought the WSM and switched over to St Louis cut spares. i can do 4 racks at 225 for as long as i like. usually 3 hours or so and then sauce, BS, sear and rest.

My diploma is a DD214