So straying away from my favorite 760 pumps a bit I found a 7400 Jamomatic chambered in .270 Winchester at a rather new local FFL by me and couldn't resist, despite how fugly it was.

FFL was an ex cop who apparenly didn't know much about scopes and pricing and when I sold the scope locally, I had literally a pittance into the gun.

The gun was absolutely fugly with a tupperware stock and forend, was matte finish metal with 3 bad rust spots on the barrel and the dratted J Lock.
No date code puts the manufacture date at between 8/9/99 and 10/1 01 according to the Remington Society date code info.
I originally planned to sell the gun(like I needed another gun, LMAO), but when I looked with the bore scope it was about the best barrel I'd ever seen on a Remington. And the rails on top of the receiver didn't have a mark or dig in them, like it was hardly fired.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
First thing I did was remove the dratted J Lock, fortunately I had a spare non J Lock safety in the drawer.
Then I sanded the rust spots with 400 grit wet & dry and pretty much got rid of them with Oxpho Blue. Brought the barrel down to bare steel and Dyna Bore coated it, still can't believe how nice the rifling is, more like an expensive custom made barrel.
I had an old school set of Weaver Pivot mounts/rings and put them on.
I had purchased an old school Denver Redfield Lo Pro Widefield 2X7 from bbrown in the classifieds here who said he had a lot of trouble sighting it in on the last rifle it was on. The price was so right that I sent it off to Iron Site Inc. and had them rebuild it and put the classic post/crosshair in it.

But the gun was still fugly with that tupperware furniture, to much matte finish contradicting the high gloss scope, base and rings.

And then comes along 160user to save this gun when he advertises some deluxe walnut furniture from a Remington 742 in the classifieds here. Naturally I buy it. Took a little fitting, forend bolt is shorter than what is needed for the deluxe wood, but I had a bolt from a 760 that was perfect. Stock bolt is 2 inches longer for the tupperware stock and it doesn't require the bearing plate that the walnut stock does so a quick order to Numrich solved that problem.

So while it is a contradiction between matte and gloss finishes it isn't so fugly anymore and I'm happy with it now. It should make a good woods rifle.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people