I grew up in SE Texas and the Mod 740 (later 742) was very popular as we ran deer with dogs ( until they outlawed them in '69 or so) The 740s I saw were in 30-06 and 280 and they both worked fine. The 742s in 308 and 6mm worked fine also, but the 30-06s were almost always jammers. Never saw a 243. I think the shorter bolt travel helped cut down the receiver gouging from the bolt carrier ( did I say that right?) Anyhow, the Ne Plus Ultra in our club was the one in 6mm Remington. It was highly favored. The savvy guys also scoped them (many just used irons) with the Weaver Pivot Mount. I played with a Mod 742/06 when I was around 25, but nothing helped it. Its best grouping was with the then new Federal Red Box with 165 Sierra SBT, right at 4" at 100. I killed deer and hogs, all under 60yds so it was "very accurate", ha. I always killed with one shot ( if you missed there was no second shot chance, too thick woods) it "may or may not" would load another round. I'm way too OCD for that, ha! I felt they handled well though.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 09/24/21.