Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

WW Brass
CCI 200
H4350 46.5grs
150gr Lapua Scenar

2.885” oal

Velocity - 2689fps

4.1 mils put me on a 12” plate at 620yds this evening. I only had 2 misses and I knew they were when the trigger broke. Shooting off a backpack and no rear support.

Sounds great. Do you think the majority of the shots would put them in the boiler room of a deer at that range? If not, maybe a 550 yard load for such critters... When I was shooting my 300wsm and 7mm rem mag in the canyons for practice, I was making sure I could put them on a paper plate at 800 yards. The shots I took on bucks were from 600-700 yards, while making sure there was very minimal wind. The updrafts coming out of the canyon from the river would push the bullet off the target during practice as much as 12" at 800 yards. Those scenars are slick pills. I'm imagining you are thinking of taking some long shots with that rifle.. The key point in your post was that you knew you had missed as soon as you pulled the trigger. That's what a lot of practice will tell you. Shooting long range can be quite rewarding and also quite frustrating. My 7mm08 Tikka is very lightweight and is not set up for long shots, nor have I found a great load that I'd feel comfortable shooting at that distance with. My 6.5 CM superlite is the same way. If I had to shoot a longrange buck again, I'd pull one of my CTR's out. Damn, I wish I could turn one of those into a 7mm08....

Other than the 2 that missed my grouping was pretty good. Inside the boiler room on an animal for sure. That said I don’t think I’d shoot at an animal much over 400yds and everything would need to be near perfect for that. But, confidence in the setup, absolutely. I think I’m the weak link here. laugh

My tikka is a T3x stainless, SWFA 6x in Sportsmatch 84’s, 7.5lbs all together I think.

I actually got a good deal on the Scenars and will probably only use them for practice. I have 200-250 140 Accubonds I’ll hunt with, they shoot great out to 650yds too though.

A paper plate at 800yds is dang good. I think we are going to try 800yds next trip, going to have to do some sawing to make a spot but it should be fun. Hopefully I’ll hit earth from that distance. Lol

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.