Many good powder and bullets options for the 7mm08 - almost too many combinations.

A summary of my experiences, and recommendations to those getting started with 7mm08 handloading:

A 140grain cup and core bullet should be your foundation. I prefer Sierra Pro Hunters, but Sierra Games Kings, Hornady Spire Point, and Hornady BTSP, all work 95% interchangeably. These bullets lack plastic tips, and give you more case capacity. They are also less expensive.

A 140 Sierra Pro Hunter from a 22" barrel, 2,800" OAL:
*47.2 grains of IMR4350 will go 2,830fps; the smallest groups I have shot with this rifle are this load; IMR4350 does lose about 1fps per degree F, but point of aim and accuracy don't seem to change; I shot a doe a few season ago when it was 32F out - she didn't seem to notice - took a few steps and fell over
*49.5 of H4350 runs about 2,880fps and gives 1/2" groups; velocity and point of aim do not change with temp; the downside is it is compressed
*47.5 of Big Game runs about 2,850fps and groups are less than 1"; I have tested several primer brands with BG, and WLR worked best for me; others on the board seem to prefer WLRM, so you may have to experiment
*RL17 is jekell and hyde; I won't list a powder charge, but stop at 2,920fps; I have shot 3/8" groups several times with this load, but you have to be really careful with working up on the top end - pressure escalate quickly! If you normal charge increment is 0.5 grains, cut that down to 0.3. Measuring case head expansion helps; also - do not interchange bullets once you find a powder charge - small changes in case volume (bullet length) seem to have an effect
*47.0 of RL16 goes 2,850fps and prints 3/4" groups
*48.0 of IMR4451 hits 2,800fps and less than 1" groups
*W760 shoots 1.5" groups from 47.0 to 49.0 grains - all the same point of impact - top end velocity is 2,850fps; it does lose velocity with temp, bot POI doesn't change

140 Nosler Partitions can be substituted somewhat seamlessly if you prefer to hunt with them. Load work up with standard cup and core bullet, then validate charge/velocity/pressure with partition (mini work up session).

Speer's 145 offerings seem to work well with the above powders, you will just be using slightly less powder.

If you want to try longer bullets, Nosler AB, Barnes, Hornady SST, etc, H4350 and RL16 may give you compression issues if you are limited to 2.800" OAL. BG or RL17 are dense powders, and would be my recommendations to avoid capacity issues.

Almost any medium burn powder works in 7mm08 with a 140, but velocity may be slightly lower (2750fps or so); Varget, RL15, IMR4064, etc

With the component shortage, just try and find a 140 and a medium powder - it will do the job.

Last edited by gte901m; 09/24/21.