Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las
He didn't say he could do it - or has done it - he said the rifle was capable of it. Semantics, my man....

I've a 30-06 easily capable of 1,000 yard shots - gives 3 shot, inch groups, at 300.

Unfortunately, my capability gets toiletry at 500.or so... smile

And if one is a hunter, rather than a shooter, that's enough, as is a 30-06.

I'm carrying the 725 in .260 more and more... Old age sucks.

Ha ha. Texted a friend the other day that I think I'm too old to be shooting a 338 anymore!

That got me wondering . . . a 338 Edge shooting a 300 gr Bergers elite hunter with G7 of .419 at above max text book load 2675 fps comes to about 1320 fps and 1160 ft-lbs at 1500 yards. I am going to assume there is some hyperbole in his post.

you're quoting incorrect velocity for 300 gr Berger bullets in the 338 Edge, average velocity is around 2850 fps for most rifles, mine has a 30" barrel and runs right around 2900 fps, that's a big difference .... Shawn Carlock and many other have shown how effective it is in killing elk out to a mile and we've taken large bull moose out to 1270 yards with the 300 RUM

run into a bunch of guys who complain that they saw a "giant bull with two sheets of plywood attached to his head" off a hill, but it was 600-800 yards out and when they tried to close the distance the bull vanished

All I could think is "fookn idiots" ... could of shot the damn thing from where they were at... these guys set themselves up to fail before they left town, shi tty choice in cartridge and bullet, lack of proper practice .. true story

as for the "it's not hunting, it's shooting" guys .... I've never met anyone who tracked a moose to death, everyone shoots them... regardless of range

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".