Of 21 or 22 moose bulls I've killed, only 3 were over 100 yards, none over 200. Average even with those is about 60 yards. I cannot recall ever seeing, while hunting, a "shooter" (God I hate that term!), farther than 300 yards out to a mile that would have given me time , to find or build a rest before he disappeared. Terrain features in the hunting area could make a difference no doubt. I've just never hunted in such country for moose.

Caribou, on the other hand.... but I can still usually find one within 500 yards, and/or close the difference.

The problem with the shootzenboomer boys is they tend to stretch their own capabilities beyond the bench. Not unique in that regard, I will freely admit. It's just that the longer the distance, the more can go wrong. Some are willing to push that. Some make good judgement calls, and have the necessary skills and equipment to make those questionable shots. Usually. I have no doubt there are a number on here that can make 1,000 yard shots on paper, and probably on game. But should you?

I think it was JJHack that said "There are 100 things that can happen at long range, and only one of them is good".

My opinion is based on several observed instances of "crack shots" with all the "right" equipment and hours of practice, mostly on the bench.

YMMV - opinions are worth what you paid for them.

Last edited by las; 09/29/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.