Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by jackmountain
10ths make things a lot simpler.

An inch is 100 10thousanths. In fact when it comes to precise measurements the Imperial system has it all over Metric. 254 MM equals 1', 25.4 MM equals 1". Seems like it takes a lot more figures for metric.

Didn't I already point out the error of that line of thinking in an earlier conversation?

Yes those problems would not arise if all prints were metric and did not have to be converted to inches due to everyone having measuring devices made to define measurements in inches. That and you seem happy to have to add extra figures for some reason.

Yes but I disagreed with you. Your point generally is that with a calculator metrics are easier to use. I see no difference as to ease when using either metric or Imperial when it comes to tight tolerance manufacturing such as aircraft parts other than the number of extra figures needed for Metric. Metric does not have a usable form of fractions. Furthermore Adding the MM or CM or whatever after a measurement just plain sucks compared to " or '. The word mile is four figures and kilometer is 9, fluid measures are also long, like milliliter, deciliter, centiliter,liter and mega-liter. As for practical volume uses the milliliter has some value in small volume use. Most of the time Teaspoon and Tablespoon, pint, quart and gallon are much more useful volumes. Inches and fractions of inches are far more pleasant to use in carpentry, ask anyone. In fact a metric steel tape is an enigma designed to make mistakes more often. I guess you could say there might be a benefit if you told the woman you picked up in the bar your penis is 203 MM long. I'm sticking with 8".

Besides the fact that it takes some getting used to, there are, in my opinion, two significant deficiencies in the metric system.
1. There is no metric equivalent for the the imperial foot. The existing metric units are either too big or too small for convenient use.
2. While this doesn’t actually effect every day use, Metric countries also generate electricity at 50 cycles instead of the 60 cycles we’re used to. This is completely silly because. even in the metric system there are 60 minutes in an hour, not 50, and 24 hours in a day. A circle still has 360 degrees not 300. back in the days of analog electric clocks, it was physically impossible to make an accurate one on 50 cycle current. It would run either too fast or too slow.

One gram is defined as the mass of water that would fill a 1-centimeter cube. In reality how useful is the volume of a gram to most of us non drug dealers?

Common Measurements in Customary and Metric Systems

Length

1 centimeter is a little less than half an inch.

1.6 kilometers is about 1 mile.

1 meter is about 3 inches longer than 1 yard.

Mass

1 kilogram is a little more than 2 pounds.

28 grams is about the same as 1 ounce.

Volume

1 liter is a little more than 1 quart.

4 liters is a little more than 1 gallon.

I am prepared for your rebuttal!

Last edited by rickt300; 10/02/21.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]