Originally Posted by cath8r
I use both as a tilesetter. In Canada, where I live within 20 miles south of Detroit Michigan, we mainly use imperial. I layout my jobs in metric and honestly it makes life alot easier. Everything in 10's and I can know about how big a piece of tile will be on the other end of a 100 foot room with about 20 seconds of quick head math.

In typical CDN fashion we totally botched the switch over to metric way back in the early 80s. If we had used metric exclusively after the switch, we'd be fine now and way past the initial confusion, but NO we now have a stoopid blended system which makes sense to none.

Our speed limit is in KMs. Our temp is in C deg. We buy butter by the pound. Our building trades use inches and feet. They advertise meat by the pound but is weighed in KGs. We sell land by the acre ........ etc etc etc. <eye roll>

For me it's a hassle at work. As an industrial radiographer, I work in imperial 95% of the time, but when I go into the state run nuke plant all the radiation levels are in a foreign-to-me metric system which could be a safety concern.