Originally Posted by powdr
I am looking at a short barreled rifle for deer. I have had a bunch of rifles in my 69 years but never one w/less than 20 1/2 inches. This one in particular has an 18 1/2in barrel and I just don't have any experience w/one that short. I just have never liked them. Help. powdr

What cartridge are you considering? A short barrel on a 30-06 or WSM wouldn't excite me but a mild little round like .250 Sav or 6.5 Grendel might. Remington never did very well by putting short barrels on powerful cartridges but the Model 7 with milder rounds has done OK.

I have two 20" barrelled rifles (.250 Sav and .308) and a 21" 8x57. The first two are Ruger Ultralights and are a bit muzzle light but I shoot okay with them. In the field I don't really notice it when shooting at game. The .308 tends to jump on the front rest at the range though due to it's lightness. I have to hold the fore end to stop it. I don't mind 20 inches on a barrel but have shied away from 18.5". I've passed up some Model 7s because of the 18.5" length. Maybe other people did too as Remington later went to 20".

Give it a go. They are great to carry in the bush and you don't lose all that much velocity. You may have to alter your shooting style on the bench but that's easy to do.