I had/have a Sav.99 in 308 with 16 1/4" barrel that is a handi little devil. I killed a number of deer with it, my best still hunting was three before noon one day. My nephew was the recipient of the rifle to kill his first deer and for the last 25 years also. I wear ear protection when sighting it and never noticed the sound when killing something with it. I bought it for a C-note in the parking lot of a gun show, one of my better purchases.

I packed a Rem 600 in 223 with a 18" barrel doing control work and varmint hunting long enough to wear out the barrel still shoot it with a 20" 6x45 tube on it.

I have a little Mini Howa in 6.5G with a 20" tube that is really handi hunting coyote on the MC along with a 16" barreled 223 AR, it isn't the barrel that kills the critter it's the bullet that comes out the end of it.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A Mannlicher stocked 18" barreled Mini Mauser in 6.5G would be just a handi little rig and really pretty to boot. I wouldn't turn down one of the little Ruger 77 RSI's as a hunter.

Last edited by erich; 10/10/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders