We got to the rise where we should have seen antelope within range but all we saw were white butts in the distance heading toward the main group.

The herd was still not settled so we decided to leave them alone and see where they ended up later in the morning. We loaded back in the truck and headed to find some fresh faces.

It didn’t take long and we found a lone doe maybe 250 yards off the county road. We kept rolling till we could park the truck out of sight and make our move. When we parked we looked in front of us and found another small batch of antelope mixed in with some angus cows.

My wife and I took Kenna to try to get a shot at the lone doe and we sent Bailey and Carsten after the other group. Bailey has killed a ton of game but still prefers to be “guided” and likes when someone can call the range and tell her when to shoot. I could tell Carsten liked the idea of a little independence and it was fun watching the two of them take off together.

We quickly made our move toward the doe and found she had fed off to the south a few yards. When we got as far as the terrain would allow she was 250 yards. Too far for Kenna but well within Amy’s capabilities. She couldn’t see the vitals if she laid prone and couldn’t get set up quick enough when she moved to sit and the goat moved off and just out of sight.

We hopped up and repositioned ourselves again getting within 300 yards. I nearly shot her myself but held off hoping to get Amy a shot. The goat knew the game was up and headed off.

At this point we were getting considerably closer to where the main herd should have been so we decided to keep hiking and see if they had settled into somewhere killable. While we were hiking a young buck tops the rise and we have a Mexican standoff for a full minute before he decided to amble off. He didn’t realize how lucky he was we weren’t packing buck tags.

We finally crest a rise in the stubble field and find the main herd bedded in the open. Too far to shoot from our position but we think we can get closer if we make a sweeping arc to the northeast behind a small rise. We make the move and had maybe gone 200 yards when we see antelope heading our way. We lay down and it turns out to be a doe and two bucks.

They are curious and seem to intentionally head directly toward us. Amy and Kenna are both in position and we just keep letting them come.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

At 200 yards they cross the line into “Kenna’s World” and I start coaching her on where to hold and what to do when the doe finally stops.

The doe keeps coming…

Finally at about 150 yards she gets nervous and starts to move off. I yell “hey” a couple times and she stops, quartering toward us for another look.

“Kill her” I whisper.

Kenna’s little .243 cracks and I see the hit. The doe took the 85 TSX though the right shoulder, made a 50 yard dash and piled up within sight.

The shot destroyed the heart then exited the offside rib. Perfect shooting and a beautiful mature doe.

It was too muddy to drive so we gutted it and headed back for a report from the other two.