Originally Posted by Heym06

What would you suggest? I have also found dead not recovered elk, but I can't say any of them were because a .308 didn't do its job! Even with old green box, ammo. No way of telling with what caliber they were shot. Could have been a .22 or a 460 weatherboom. Shot placement.

I have shot and seen plenty of elk killed with plain ol' c&c bullets--which is why I prefer premiums. Cuts way down on the elk drama. My family has owned land in the high country of west-central Colorado for several generations. I've been finding dead, unrecovered elk since I can remember. In some cases the elk were fresh enough to find bullet holes, and most had bullet holes in the front half. A one lunged elk can cover a lot of ground in a short time. In dry conditions and thick timber, it can be very difficult to find an elk that travels 500+ yards before it dies.

Partition, TTSX, or E-Tip are my first choice. One can spend a lot more money on the boutique premium bullets, their terminal performance isn't any better, but a particular rifle may prefer them.

It's not the cartridge, it's the bullet that counts. I have a pair of 243's that have now accounted for 15 elk with 100g NPt's--mostly in the hands of youngsters. Hunters being hunters, we still want to focus on the cartridge, when we should be thinking of the bullet.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.