Originally Posted by MadDog4298
I’ve been around gun shy dogs my whole life and haven’t seen one get over it. If you like the dog I would keep it as a pet. When I was a kid my grandpa had a gun shy beagle and we used 22’s and when you missed the rabbit the dog would take off for the house and we would go back pet it up real good and lead it back to where we missed the rabbit and it would take back off on the track!! I know a guy that has a good rat terrier squirrel dog and it is so gun shy you have to hold he gun behind your back when your walking up to the tree or it will take off but after you shoot it will get over it and go tree another. Most bird dogs and labs aren’t gun shy.

I cured a vizsla from being gun shy.

start young age 3 to 5 months ( based on personality drive of puppy) after basic obedience training. I start with a pellet rifle empty of course during my retrieval training and give food rewards every successful retrieve. Throw the dummy in air , shoot pellet rifle, give fetch command. Ill introduce frozen quail, pheasant, hun, grouse, duck carcasses in retrieves to further interest dog. I do that for a few weeks . Then introduce 22 rifle. I stand at least 30 yds from dog, throw dummy, frozen bird carcass for a few weeks shooting every time , then a 20 gauge shotgun from about 50 yds. I use someone to hold dog. I slowly move closer to dog over a few weeks. Ill run two shooters once dog is comfortable. Ive seen dogs freaked out by multiple shooters after being gun trained with one gun.

Any set backs I go to step one. Ill then introduce live hobbled birds in retrieve, and shooting with shotgun. After I get prey drive established with live birds( no retrievals)

Make it fun , short sessions. Any hesitation take a few days break and start from beginning depending on dog's disposition.I think incorporating, fun, excitement into foundation of gun training is important, at least based on my experience.

Ill use a shock collar on vibrate in training if dog is distracted or stubborn.